The court in Pepin Gym will be named after the legendary Hendricken Basketball coach on Tuesday, December 18
For more information, contact: Michele King, Director of Communications, email@example.com, 401.739.3450, ext. 131.
WARWICK, RI (December 13, 2018) – Plans are underway to name the basketball court in Bishop Hendricken’s Pepin Gymnasium after former standout player, senior guidance counselor, and longtime basketball coach, Jamal Gomes. A ceremony will take place on Tuesday, December 18th prior to tip off of the Hendricken vs. East Providence basketball game at 7:00 pm. President John A. Jackson ’71 will present Coach Gomes with a special plaque, and a reception will follow the game in Hendricken’s Founder’s Hall. The court will be re-surfaced in the Summer of 2019 and officially named in Gomes’ honor.
A graduate of Bishop Hendricken High School in 1991, Gomes, a three year varsity basketball player who was named Gatorade Player of the Year and a Converse All-American, earned a full scholarship to attend Stonehill College where he became a 1,000 point career scorer. After college, Gomes played professionally in Ireland before returning to Hendricken to begin his teaching and coaching career.
For nearly two decades, Mr. Gomes has propelled Bishop Hendricken to the pinnacle of success not only in Rhode Island, but regionally, and nationally. In his eighteen years as head coach, Gomes has led Hendricken to a record eleven Rhode Island State Championships in the last fifteen seasons. This includes seven consecutive state championships from 2004-2010, tying the state record for most consecutive state championship seasons. Coach Gomes has enjoyed working with hundreds of outstanding student-athletes, many of whom have gone on to compete at the collegiate and professional basketball level. A list of Coach Gomes’ awards and accolades is listed below.
More on Coach Jamal Gomes ’91:
- Head Coach, Bishop Hendricken High School (2000-Present)
- Stonehill College BA, Providence College M. Ed.
- School Counselor, Psychology Teacher, Former PE/Health Educator
- 11-Time RI State Championship Head Coach (2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018)
- Over 350 Career Victories
- RIBCA Coach of the Year 2004, 2006
- RIBCA Championship Coach of the Year 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009
- 2009 RI Sports Awards Boys Coach of the Year
- 2016 USA Today R.I. Boys Basketball Coach of the Year
- 2016 National Federation High School Coaches Association Boys Basketball State Coach of the Year.
- Inducted into the Bishop Hendricken Athletic Hall of Fame in 2012
- Camp Director – Best Hoops Basketball Camp, Hoop Mountain Basketball Camp
- Camp Coach – USA Basketball
- Coached many student-athletes that have gone on to compete at the NCAA Division 1, Division 2 and Division 3 levels.
- Girls AAU Basketball Coach (Ma. Illusions)
- USA Basketball Certified
- NFHS Coaching and Concussion Certified
- I. High School Gatorade Player of the Year (1991)
- First Team All-State (1991)
- First Team All-Division (1991)
- First Team All City of Warwick (1991)
- Converse HS All-American (1991)
- RI State Basketball Team Championship (1989)
- Captain and 1,000-Point Scorer, Stonehill College (1991-1995)
- Professional Career – Ireland