“Put God first.”
Denzel Washington stated this in his commencement address at Dillard University last year. Denzel talks about success and states that you are not truly successful until you reach back and help someone out. Our alumni, parents and benefactors who contribute each year to help the next generation of Hawks are truly a blessing to our school community and we are grateful each day for their support. As Principal, I would like to take this opportunity to update our stakeholders on the “state of the school” from my first 100 days.
- We have implemented a School Improvement Team tied to the national benchmarks of Catholic education with the core values of Blessed Edmund Rice. Bishop Hendricken High School’s goals include effective use of technology, increasing alumni donations, increasing cultural awareness, social/emotional intelligence, and school safety.
- There is an on-going Wifi upgrade to increase our infrastructure in the amount of $33,000.
- Vizio Smartboards are being integrated into the media arts room and computer labs.
- We initiated the Distributive Executive Clubs of America (DECA) as our newest student club. DECA provides real world experience in business, marketing, finance, hospitality, and entrepreneurial skills to future leaders and business majors. We invite you to come speak to the club!
- We provided professional development on the effective use of technology in the classroom, and a design team of faculty is working to determine how to implement technology in the future.
- We have implemented a Student Support Team to identify at risk students, and to ensure they have the right tools to both access our curriculum and find success academically while also having the full Hendricken experience.
- Bishop Hendricken has become the first school of faith to be recognized by the Special Olympics as a National Banner Unified Champion School.
- The Bishop Hendricken Hawks Cross Country team won the Eastern States Championship and the RI State Championship and they are currently ranked #4 in the country.
- Our Unified Volleyball team won the RI state championship.
- For the first time since 2002, we have a football player going to the All-American Bowl!
We all have a moral obligation to give back to the community that provides so much for our boys. Here are some ways to get involved and we hope you will give back in whatever way you can!
- Thanksgiving Community Dinner- Thursday, November 22, 2018 at BHHS. Call Peter Thomas at 739-3450, ext. 150 if you’d like to help out!
- #GivingTuesday on Tuesday, November 27th. Join us for this global day of giving and help set a new record for the largest single day of donations in the school’s history.
- Please contact me if you would like to host a current senior for senior experience in the spring.
Please reach out to Peter Thomas at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 401.739.3450, ext. 150 with your donation. Every gift counts and no gift is too small! Our goal is to increase overall alumni participation in support of current Hendricken students. A minimum gift of $1,000 can qualify you as a major gift donor, and I pledged to be a major donor in 2018 for the boys I have the privilege of serving each day. I encourage you to do the same, or consider a gift at any level. We are grateful for your support!
Mark DeCiccio ‘03
Bishop Hendricken High School